Thursday, December 16, 2010

End of 2010 Books

Hmmm...I guess having a baby and then going back to work slowed me down on my updating!!!  We've been meeting for book club though!  We've been on a roll with really good books lately.  Here's to more great books in 2011!


Our August Book
Island Beneath the Sun
By Isabelle Allende

This was a book that I didn't finish.  I started it and the language was beautiful, but very literary.  I was just too sleep deprived that once I started it I was asleep!  I'd like to go back to it someday though.

Our September Book
Tricks 
By Ellen Hopkins

 This book I loved.  Ellen Hopkins has a way of getting down and dirty when it comes to teen issues.  She talks about topics that aren't easy to broach.  I love her novels in poetry.  This book was interesting because it tied in so many different stories.


Our October Book
Pope Joan 
By Donna Woolfolk Cross

I was at least halfway into this one when book club snuck up on me.  I need to check it our from the library again so I can finish it.  I liked the writing, it reminded me of Beneath a Marble Sky and The Red Tent.

Our November Book
Room 
By Emma Donoghue

I listened to the audiobook in my car and found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next!  This book starts of without telling you where the main character is and what his circumstance is.  I liked the way it was written from the perspective of a 5-year-old. 


Our December Book
Zeitoun 
By Dave Eggers

I'm still only at the beginning of this book, but I really like the few chapters I have read.  This book is a nonfiction account of a man who experience Hurricane Katrina.  I'm hanging on to this one so I can finish it even though we had book club tonight.  

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ok... I'm in the book club and have read all but one book. Here is my take on the books above:

Island Beneath the Sea- I know I read it but I don't really remember it! I guess that alone tells you how I liked the book.

Tricks- I read this book and enjoyed it just about as much as I could have. Yes, it is about people turning tricks (prostitution.) If you want an honest look from teenagers point of view.. this is the book for you.

Pope Joan- I loved this book! Talk about a hidden jewel. The author did a wonderful job of describing the time period. I also really enjoyed the part at the end when the author tells you what parts of this historical fiction book were fact vs. fiction. Fascinating story that I have recommended to others!

Room- I also recommended this book to others. Initially, I thought this book was about an agorophobic (someone who is afraid of going outside of the house) but soon realized that it is an abduction situation. It was really interesting how the author wrote the book from a young child's point of view. Fascinating.

Zeitoun- I found this biography to be very interesting. I have only heard about Hurricane Katrina from the news and magazines. This is one man's view of what happened to him, his family, and his town he loves in a country he loves.